DC Mayor Bowser one of 300 Mayors Nationwide Hosting Play Ball Summer Events
Today, Friday, July 13, DC Mayor Bowser will open PLAY BALL PARK, a FREE All-Star Week attraction open Friday, July 13th through Tuesday, July 17th with fun, interactive baseball activities, as well as special appearances by baseball (and softball) legends Cal Ripken, Jr., David Ortiz, Jennie Finch, David Ross. Measuring more than 145,000 square feet, the festive space includes a youth-sized, turf diamond for open play, batting tunnels, pitching inflatables, and Stickball Alley.
The Play Ball Summer program (launched in 2015) focuses on the sport of baseball and encourages kids to participate in the sport by getting politicians, community organizers and leaders involved. Now that Play Ball Summer is active in all 50 states, the program is expected to grow even more. PLAY BALL SUMMER has been a “ in-win” for everyone involved — Mayors, Major League Baseball and, most importantly, the kids.
Mayor Bowser is just one of more than 300 mayors across the country to support the MLB and US Conference of Mayors’ Play Ball Summer program. Mayors who’ve taken the pledge in Maryland include:
Catherine Pugh, Mayor of Baltimore, MD
Robert Bruchey, Mayor of Hagerstown, MD
Craig Moe, Mayor of Laurel, MD
- Friday, July 13: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. ET (Free play from noon-1 p.m.; Adult baseball and softball from 8-10 p.m.)
- Saturday, July 14: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. (Free play from noon-1 p.m.; Adult baseball and softball from 7-10 p.m.)
- Sunday, July 15: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. (Free play from 11 a.m.-noon.; 3-4 p.m.)
- Monday, July 16: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. (Free play from 1-3 p.m.; 5-6 p.m.)
- Tuesday, July 17: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. (Free play from 11 a.m.-noon; 4-5 p.m.; 7-8 p.m.)
Don’t worry about your skill level, just pack up the kids, snacks and head out to Yards Park. It’s gonna be fun! Oh yeah, if you go, use the hashtag #MayorsPlayBall in your pictures!