A Family Experience to Remember at Circus Xtreme
Our visit to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was bittersweet this year. It was my daughter’s first visit and sadly we had to say goodbye to the Asian Elephants. To mark this memorable occasion, I wanted to do all that I could to make it extra special. The kids were looking forward going and asked us, almost daily, if “tomorrow was the day!” Finally the big day had come and we made sure to arrive at the arena early. The first half of the show reminded me of Cirque de solei. There were clowns running around doing tricks, dancers all over the floor and women twirling in the ceiling. Did I mention Gemma, the human cannonball? The kids went crazy!!
While the first half of the show kept the kids smiling, it was the second half that got them out of their seats. Here’s why:
- Alex and Irina with their amazing performing Poodles. I mean the feats those dogs were doing; dancing, walking upright, cleaning props from the area; my kids haven’t even learned that one yet.
- Art on Trampoline; these guys were amazing. They flipped, they walked up walls and they did in such a way that they looked like mirror images of each other.
- Now the BMX Bike Show was probably my husband’s favorite act, as a kid he just knew he was going to the X-games, bless his heart. So he was telling our kids the names of all the tricks the riders were doing, from the “Seat Grab” to the “540 Tail Whip,” whatever that is.
If you’re taking your little one to the circus for the first time, I have a few recommendations for you:
- Snag a free ticket through the Baby’s First Circus Program. Child under 12 months can participate and they’ll even receive a certificate from Ringling Bros. as a keepsake. It can take up to 14 weeks to receive your ticket voucher and certificate so plan early.
- Arrive Early. I never understood the value of being too early until now. We had more than enough time to roam the arena, eat all of our concession food and pick out souvenirs with little to no lines. And this all happened before the show started. #winning
- Don’t Miss the Pre-Show. Check out my previous post about the pre-show activities.
- Be Prepared to Spend Money. Just like any event, the circus is no exception to overpriced food and souvenirs. The children had $20 each to spend on souvenirs and it took no time for them to make a selection. They spent $14 on a bag of cotton candy topped with a camel hat and $20 for a toy laser gun.
If you haven’t been, you still have time. The Greatest Show on Earth is still in town at Eagle Bank Area until April 17th.
FAIRFAX, VA SHOW
EagleBank Arena | April 6 – April 17, 2016
Wednesday, April 6| 7:00 pm
Thursday, April 7| 7:00 pm
Friday, April 8| 7:30 pm
Saturday, April 9| 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, 7:30 pm
Sunday, April 10| 1:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Thursday, April 14| 7:00 pm
Friday, April 15| 10:30 am, 7:30 pm
Saturday, April 16| 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, 7:30 pm
Sunday, April 17| 1:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Disclosure: I am a Feld Family Ambassador, and in exchange for my time and efforts in attending shows and reporting my opinion within this blog, as well as keeping you advised of the latest discount offers, Feld Entertainment has provided me with complimentary tickets to Feld shows and opportunities to attend private Feld pre-Show events. Although I receive these benefits, ALL opinions and thoughts are my own.