Are You Ready for Maryland Day?
Back for the 21st year is Maryland Day at the University of Maryland. With over 400 interactive activities and events, the University of Maryland opens the campus for family and friends across the DC area to explore! We had a ball last year and my son even got the chance to hold and pet a tarantula! It was one of the best moments of his life!! This free event will be held on Saturday, April 27 from 10 am to 4 pm.
This fun-filled event has something for everyone in the family to enjoy. From autographs and sport challenges with the Terps Football Team to learning the art of making bubbles, Maryland Day will leave the kids talking for days, maybe even weeks!
Must Do Activity List
Dive into the world of Fearless Ideas with events, activities and exhibits spread across the campus in five “learning neighborhoods.” This means that you’ll need to make sure EVERYONE has their walking shoes on and be ready for an adventure. Since Maryland Day is for everyone, I’ve pick out a few Must-Do Activities to help keep the day going.
- You don’t want to miss the Maryland Football’ Red and White Spring Game. Enjoy Fan Fest after the game with a team autograph session and plenty of fun. The action kicks off at noon at Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium.
The first 15,000 people at Maryland Day will receive a commemorative shopping tote at one of 11 information booths on campus.
- Spend the day at Maryland Day and stay to cheer on Maryland Lacrosse as both teams take on Johns Hopkins at Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium. Women play at 4:30 p.m., followed by the men at 7:30 p.m.
- Catch a live performance at the main stage
- Visit the Insect Petting Zoo
- Learn about laser technology and extreme robotics, then get blasted in the Glenn L. Martin Wind Tunnel
Collect all six of the new limited-edition commemorative pins. Each learning neighborhood features a unique themed pin, available only on Maryland Day. Once you have all six, share pictures of your journey using #MarylandDay.
- Terp Town Center
- Ag Day Avenue
- Art & Design Place
- Science & Tech Way
- Sports & Rec Row
Know Before You Go
Although the event will last practically all day, you will have to be very strategic in which activities and events you want to explore. Use the Plan Your Day site to make sure you’re hitting up all the activities that your family will enjoy the most. I really love the planning guide because you are able to print it out before you go which was super helpful during our visit!
Parking is free but follow directional signs and traffic attendants to event parking areas. Upon arrival, pick up an event guide/map at one of the information stations (see map). Cover more ground by using Shuttle-UM. The shuttle which will run continuously all day free of charge.
Capture the day using the hashtag #MarylandDay on social media. Spread the Word and Have Fun!!