Are You Ready for Maryland Day?
In it’s 19th year and with over 400 interactive activities and events, the University of Maryland opens the campus for us to explore! This fun filled event has something for everyone in the family to enjoy. From autographs and sport challenges with the Terps Football Team to learning the art of making bubbles, Maryland Day will leave the kids talking for days, maybe even weeks! This free event will be held on Saturday, April 29 from 10 am to 4 pm.
Must Do Activity List
Dive into the world of Fearless Ideas with events, activities and exhibits spread across the campus in six “learning neighborhoods.” This means that you’ll need to make sure EVERYONE has their walking shoes on and be ready for an adventure. Since Maryland Day is for everyone, I’ve pick out a few Must-Do activities to help get the day going.
- Catch a live performance at the main stage and meet the men’s and women’s basketball teams.
- Visit the kids’ carnival featuring the boot camp obstacle course and inline extreme air quad jumpers.
- Learn about laser technology and extreme robotics, then get blasted in the Glenn L. Martin Wind Tunnel.
- Enjoy a free sample of ice cream from the Maryland Dairy dished up by the Equestrian Team.
- Make your own personalized bubble wand and turn it into a work of art.
- Video game lovers will drool over The Gamer Symphony Orchestra. They are the first collegiate ensemble exclusively devoted to performing orchestral arrangements of video game music. HOW COOL IS THIS?
- A half-hour acting workshop and games for budding actors ages 2-10.
- Learn all about the tips and tricks of Snapchat.
- Explore the human brain, zoom around the cerebellum, fly through a maze of neurons and discover the intricacies of the human brain in a 3-D video.
- Join the Teacher Education Association of Maryland Students to decorate a picture frame to capture your favorite Maryland Day memories.
- Compete in a paper airplane competition!
- Interact with the robots and watch the Autonomous Systems Lab students demonstrate a variety of autonomous robots.
- Look, touch and feel tarantulas, exotic insects, scorpions, bees and millipedes.
- Get a health screening at the Mobile Clinic.
Know Before You Go
Although the event will last practically all day, you will have to be very strategic in which activities and events you want to explore. Use the Plan Your Day site to make sure you’re hitting up all the activities that your family will enjoy the most.
Capture the day using the hashtag #MarylandDay on social media.
Parking is free but follow directional signs and traffic attendants to event parking areas. Upon arrival, pick up an event guide/map at one of the information stations (see map).
If special accommodations are needed, call 877.UMTERPS.
Cover more ground by using Shuttle-UM. The shuttle which will run continuously all day free of charge. Click here to see map and bus stop locations.
Check out the Maryland Day video here!