I had the pleasure of getting a sneak peek inside of the Washington Auto Show on Media Day. It was a perfect opportunity to gather with some other ladies and dream a little. Not only that, I was reminded that women have a huge impact on car buying decisions and auto makers are beginning to have us in mind when pushing out new models. Yeah, I know that many car enthusiasts are typically men from what we hear but I beg to differ. My fellow ambassadors from She Buys Cars know a thing or two about muscle and mini-vans but more importantly, we know why women should be in the building!
- You can bring the entire family, yes even the kids. In between browsing, check out a full range of entertainment, attractions and casual dining and drinks. See which contestants are still standing in the Hyundai ‘Hands-On’ Contest. Get autographs from celebrities and athletes like Jordan Reed of the Washington Redskins, WWE Star Randy Orton and a host of PBS characters.
- Ride and Drive Events. Ever wanted to test drive that car you’ve seen on TV? Here’s your chance. Get behind the wheel of a BMW, Subaru, Ford and Toyota just to name a few. Don’t forget to bring your license. Get ahead of the crowd and view the schedules before you go.
- Thinking about getting a new car soon? Find it here. The best thing about the auto show (in my opinion) is the ability to car shop. Having been to multiple dealerships and dealing with pushy salesmen, I love that I can take my time with the search all in one place. Jump in an Aston Martin (take a picture), McLaren, Range Rover, Mazda or Toyota with no pressure. This time I actually fell for the trickery and now really thinking about buying a new SUV. Beware, if you go searching, you will find something here. Oh yeah, the experts will give you the deets on how to order your car online and skip the lengthy dealership madness.
- Wanna text and drive? See the future of cars, it’s not that far away. Get your introduction to a world with autonomous cars. Down on the lower level you can check out the new Hyundai Ioniq coming out later this year. It’s ready to drive the driver, being fully autonomous featuring straight road (w/traffic & signal), right turn merge (w/bus stop), right turn with signal, high curvature (60 degrees left & right), underground road and so much more. With the lifetime battery warranty and America’s best warranty, it will leave you considering signing the paperwork!
- Explore technology at its finest. Did you know that the US is the leader in automobile innovations? Boy, I must say that each car maker has stepped their game all the way up when it comes to jam packing in all things tech. There are so many new trends transforming the car like smart audio, cockpit convergence, could connectivity and artificial intelligence. With the evolution of the internet, auto makers are now even coming up with ways to incorporate cyber security, said Dinesh Paliwal, CEO of Harman. From exotic to the concept, I couldn’t help but to be giddy over the awesomeness that I’d witnessed. To think, we were all excited about car phones and basic navigation systems.
So no, the car show was not designed as a place for men to drool while they leave their wives at home. It was designed as a family affair with the hopes of women bribing their husbands into buying a new car.
Disclosure: I was compensated for attending but as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own!
Do you have your tickets yet? Get them here!
Washington Auto Show
Jan 27– Feb 5
Tickets: $12/Adults $5/Kids Under 5 – Free
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mount Vernon Place, NW
Washington, D.C., 2000